5 Rules of Negotiation
Our lives and careers are affected by how well we negotiate. How well we do in both depends upon our negotiating skills. Negotiating is a body of knowledge and an endeavor that focuses on gaining the favor of people from whom we want things. We negotiate all the time, both on the job and in our personal lives. Anytime two or more people are exchanging information with the intent of changing the relationship they are involved in a negotiation.
Five Rules of Negotiations
- The person who speaks first sets the tone for the negotiation
- The person who asks the most questions determines the content and the direction of the negotiation
- Never argue. No one ever won an argument. Always question for understanding
- People do things for their reasons not yours
- The person who listens the most will have the greatest effect on the outcome of the negotiation